"The world has moved, be quick enough to not miss it now,
so wake up your eyes and darling your smile" -Copeland

Monday, July 20, 2009

"side by side"

a very very short story I wrote inspired by the song "Never say Never" by the Fray 
hope you enjoy :)


"Side by Side"

I always thought I was like a bland character in your favorite novel, but on that winter day, I remember I used my polaroid.  I only used my polaroid on rare occasions, and you, my dear, were a rare occasion.  Somehow, I believed I opened a door to your heart on that day.  I stepped in, you saw me, and I became the main character in your life.  I had that photo of you and me framed where I could see it when I opened my eyes in the morning and closed them at night.  In the past we would go without talking for months at a time, but things always remained as they were when we picked up where we left off.  We held that smile when things were crumbling around us, and I begged you to just talk to me.  You were always there, holding tightly to the bond we shared through the years.  You couldn't ever say never, even though maybe at times we should have.  
Years later, in our separate lives, I think of you and wonder who you are now.  I always knew you'd be there in those times.  I imagine you in your new life, and I hope you're happy.  The photo in the frame is tucked away in a drawer, and on occasion, I'll slip it out when no one is looking and smile at who we were back then.  Just two beings, in the present, never thinking about the future; refusing to.  Being side by side, all we wanted was right beside us in that moment.